Misstion Statement: Modernize kickstart to make it ready for the future. This includes rewriting it.
What is kickstart?
https://wiki.innerweb.novell.com/index.php/RD-OPS_QA/Kickstart Basically it is what the QA Maintenance Team (until recently) used to test bootcritical maintenance updates. And no. I has nothing to do with Redhat.
From what to where?
Kickstart (the present)
- written in bash
- currently unmaintained
- uses qemu-kvm
- usage is roughly documented, the code isn't
Jumpstart (the desired future)
- written in a more sophisticated language: Python
- easy to maintain
- uses libvirt
- plethora of documentation
- ability to rebuild VM-Images automatically
- independent of the underlying Virtualization Framework
Initial scope of the project
Because of the limited amount of time during Hackweek the initial scope of the project will center around:
- Starting a conversation about how jumpstart should position itself between the other tools used internally. Can/Should it be integrated with other tools and why? (pennyworth from the machinery-project for example)
- Coding the first prototype that will cover the SLE-Minimal Workflow with the most important scenarios.
Looking for mad skills in:
python kvm libvirt mtui pennyworth machinery
This project is part of:
Hack Week 11
Following a FOSDEM presentation on [Angr](http:...
Let's make reposync faster
As there is no progress around [MIrrorPinky](ht...
At SUSE we've implemented a module on Salt call...
SUSE is well known for the standard enterprise ...