The current Jangouts UI is limiting us when thinking about adding new features. Some examples:
- This (using the whole thumbnail to pin a participant) was implemented, but the result is far from optimal (I have not even deployed it in production).
- The underlying part of this (participant name change) were also implemented, but we were not able to find a way to make it fit in the current UI.
- If somebody decides to implement this (per-user volume), they will have the same problem.
- I also have in mind a "local mute" feature, but once again I wouldn't know where to place that button.
Moreover, there are some usability problems we keep hitting all the time:
- The button to mute yourself can move if somebody else than you enters the room.
- The name of the room is not displayed.
Last but not least, the current UI kind of works in mobile devices, but it's not 100% mobile friendly (buttons are too small and it relies too much in hover buttons).
Cynthia already did some visual modifications (available only in her fork for the time being). She is also working in some mock-ups more oriented to functionality and UX. Stay tuned.
Ancor did progresses in the Angular2 porting and improved the unit tests there. He also updated the janus-gateway packages in OBS and renewed the Let's Encrypt's certificate for jangouts.tk. Last but not least, he debugged some connection problems with Firefox 38.4.0 (included in non-updated SLED12-SP1). The problem should be fixed now.
Looking for mad skills in:
This project is part of:
Hack Week 14