or how to replace
git push heroku master and
cf push with Kubernetes
PaaS has made deployment of applications very easy. Kubernetes has made deployment of applications very flexible but not easy. There are efforts to add the "easy" part to Kubernetes. That would make Kubernetes a good alternative to PaaS. With so many public cloud Kubernetes offerings nowadays, it would be nice if one could simply pick up their preferred cloud and have an app running in minutes. This HackWeek project will be and exploration of the available tools that can make Kubernetes as friendly as a PaaS for deployment but also how much Kubernetes can help development.
An example application will be used to test development and deployment to both staging and production.
- Knative (build, server etc)
- Local kube clusters (kind, microk8s etc)
- Concourse, buildkite, drone.io etc (for CI)
- Kube dashboard (for monitoring etc)
At the end of the Hackweek there should be a repository that could be used as a "framework" when starting a project. It should have instructions on how to use the various helper scripts and ideally a single entry point (like a cli or Makefile of bash script).
- As a developer having the code of a Ruby application on my local filesystem, I want to be able to run my application without installing any dependencies.
- As a developer, I want the running (development) instance of my application to be updated very quickly when I change the code (with or without manual intervention)
- As a developer, I want to be able to deploy my application on public cloud with one command.
- As a developer, I want to be able to rollback a deployment.
- As a developer, I want to be able to run database migrations.
- (more might be added later)
Looking for mad skills in:
kubernetes paas development
This project is part of:
Hack Week 18
Knative is a relatively new framework built on ...
The goal of this project is two fold.
My goal is build on Alberto's work on ["yomi"](...
The goal of this project is to get an overview ...
Throughout this project, I will learn about Kub...